Wednesday, January 16, 2013

55. Water Valve


'Water Valve'
6" x 6"
oil on gessoboard

My husband replaced our water heater a few months back, and the valve from the old one has been staring me down ever since. 
I mean, seriously, --  how is one expected NOT to put such a lovely, sturdy, jolly little piece of gloriously patinaed bronze hardware into a painting? 
I do not know.
(Ok, admittedly, I tend to find as much beauty in a junkyard as in a flower shop, but that's just me. Also, flowers are SUPER hard to paint. ;) ) 

I don't know if you can tell, but I used a different approach this go 'round. In the style of a couple of my favorites, Karin Jurick and Catherine Rehfeld, I started with a black background. It took a while to wrap my brain around it, but after a while I really started to enjoy myself. 
I can't wait to give it another shot! 

not for sale

No comments: