Thursday, January 14, 2016

239. Déjà vu


'Déjà vu'
6" x 6"
oil on gessoboard

In the late afternoon of New Year's Eve, I herded my three boys into the pickup for a quick trip to the store for junk food and root beer float supplies. As soon as we were all buckled and I had a chance to look at my surroundings, I quickly decided to take a little detour to the Columbia River dikelands just outside of town. 
The sun was setting and the sky was just gorgeous.

The boys started questioning, of course, and then the middle one yelled, "We did this last year!"
I had forgotten, but he was right. Exactly one year ago, we had left the house to go to the store and I drove out to the dikelands to take pictures instead. :)

I had tried making a painting from those images a year ago, but eventually set it aside in frustration. Yesterday, it caught my eye from the top of my 'no hope whatsoever' pile, and I decided to give it another shot. This time around, I referenced my photos from '15, instead of '14. Both days were very cold and clear, and the sky absolutely glowed as each year came to a close.
The only noticeable difference in the photos is the result of our very different winters; '14 was super dry, and '15 was super wet, resulting in snow at the very top of the distant hills. 

Snow in the hills for the win!



No comments: