Thursday, December 4, 2014

201. The Normal Tree


'The Normal Tree'
6" x 6"
oil on gessoboard

I must credit my three-year-old for the title, - he was very disappointed that I was painting just a 'normal tree', as opposed to a much more festive Christmas tree. :)

This normal tree is seasonally appropriate to me; we had many 'brown Christmases' when I was a kid. I didn't like them then, but I can appreciate their subtle beauty now. Several years in the perma-green environment of the Pacific Northwest (which I completely love), has made me all the more aware of the lovely sepia tones of midwest winters, especially on those overcast, frigid, snowless days. 
(This photo is from a Minnesota November.)

And also, making that collage of my 200 paintings had me overwhelmed with color. Too much color!
 Lol. Don't worry, I'll get over it - you know I can't stay in one spot too long. ;)


1 comment:

Mary Pyche said...

I swear that I have this same tree in my backyard and I look at it all day long. It has the same two branches closer to the bottom! I keep thinking I should cut them off to make it more symmetrical. I have painted a big tree but not my own. when I'm in my yard, it's too big to paint and keep it in the picture plane. I did make a Christmas tree card of it when I first moved here 15 years ago. Love your work!