Monday, March 17, 2014

157. St. Patrick


'St. Patrick'
6" x 6"
oil on gessobord

Most days, choosing what to paint can be the most agonizing part of my process. I had in mind to paint something sunny, and after indecisively perusing a bunch of late summer farm/landscape type pics, I moved further back to the unofficial first day of summer in my photo library, the 4th of July. I've passed by this photo dozens of times, but today, it reached out and grabbed me, and my mind was (finally) made up.

On last 4th of July, we watched the parade in our small town and then loaded up the car for a fabulous camping trip to southern Oregon.  
We're not far from the lovely city of Portland, and I snapped this picture as we cruised through, admiring buildings and bridges and the beautiful blue sky.

I didn't know it when I started painting this morning, but a little internet search tells me this gorgeous steeple belongs to St. Patrick Catholic Church in Portland.
I know, right? :)
Happy St. Patrick's Day!

sold

No comments: