Thursday, August 15, 2013

105. Color Guard


'Color Guard'
6" x 6"
oil on gessoboard

Ack. This is why I don't paint people very often. They're tough!  
Truth be told, I nearly wiped this off in complete frustration last night, but, after sleeping on it, I muscled ahead, and I'm glad I did.
I could go on and on fiddling with it, but that's enough learning for one painting; -- time to move on! ;)

This scene is from our town's Independence Day parade -- the Color Guard starting things off. Ok, a confession. I cannot witness a passing of the colors or a rendition of our national anthem (no matter how poorly sung) without welling up. Even reciting the Pledge of Allegiance at my son's school assemblies turns me into a puddle! 
Lest you think I'm some sort of super-patriot, I do the same thing watching sports - the younger the players, the more pathetic I am. Don't let your small children go scoring any touchdowns or baskets 'round me, - I'm likely to burst into tears. :)  

Seriously, though - this sight at the parade brings all to their feet, as it should; - respect shown to the flag and those who carry it. 
Grateful.

sold


No comments: