Saturday, December 16, 2023

355. O Christmas Tree

 


'O Christmas Tree'
6" x 6"
oil on gessobord

I love this sweet scene from a winter trip to Minnesota several years ago.
This little fellow lives in a ditch near my sister's house, and an anonymous neighborhood elf had spruced it up for Christmas. It was so charming!

I'm happy with how that tree turned out, but one of my favorite parts of this painting is the bunch of birch trees in the background to the left. Stealing the show, they are. (At least I think they're birch, - sometimes it's hard to tell. I'm sure my family will correct me, lol.)

I have many reference photos of this scene, but until recently I haven't been able to paint it. I have studied it and tried to visualize my way through, but was always stumped. Too many branches, too many trees in the background; too hard to recreate. Anyway, a few weeks ago, I came across the photos again, and I just saw it, - I knew how to paint it! Such a cool feeling. Sporadic though it may be, my time spent making art has not been in vain. And that's the gift that this painting gave to me.



No comments: