Thursday, August 11, 2016

260. 'Call of the Lonely Loon'


'Call of the Lonely Loon'
6" x 6"
oil on gessoboard

My husband and I were blessed to spend a few days fishing in Alaska recently, and we had such a great time. The fish camp was right on the Kenai River, and being there reminded me of the fantastic summers as a camp counselor on a lake in northern Minnesota. It's been a long time since I've felt that feeling; tackling things you never thought you could (nine hours in a boat), surrounded by ever-changing and spectacular natural beauty, all while hanging out with great people that are just happy to be there, even if it's pouring down rain. I want to go back! :)

We fished on nearby Skilak Lake, and every day we were visited by several loons. They are the state bird of Minnesota, so I know them well in theory, but have not seen nor heard many in my lifetime. I was really excited to see some in person, and trying to take photos of them helped pass the time when fishing was slow. They also brought to mind 'The Life of a Voyageur', a song we sang at Camp Birchwood. Even though it's technically about the Canadian wilderness, for me it has always captured the wonderful essence of the woods, the water, and a campfire with good friends. 

Here's a sample from youtube if you're curious. :) 
I should've asked my friend Sara from camp to sing it, she'd do a great job and I'm sure she still knows the words. :)




No comments: